Clinton, MS

601 460 0409

What's happening in Clinton MS. Attractions, dining, events, shopping, festivals, and more.

Town Spring Park

Featured Stories

Town Spring Park

Visit Clinton

DSC_5066-HDR-Edit.jpg

The City of Clinton held the grand opening and ribbon cutting dedication of Town Spring Park, Friday, March 9, 2018, at 10:30 a.m. The dedication ceremony was held at the new park located at 305 Belmont Street in Clinton (behind the intersection of Belmont and Capitol Streets).

Town Spring Park restores one of the original springs that helped Clinton become a desired resting place for weary travelers in the 1800’s and provided water to early residents of the city.

The abundance of fresh water made Clinton a popular resting place for travelers on the Natchez Trace. For centuries, the spring located at this site supplied water to Native Americans and overland travelers from the North and East, as well as the flatboatmen returning from New Orleans to their frontier homes.

After Clinton was surveyed in 1829, Spring Street was laid out for public access to the spring - the town's main source of water. The town built a water well near the spring and began operating a water system in 1906. Spring Street was closed, but the Town Spring remained usable as late as 1951 when an ice storm caused a power failure and Clinton's water system shut down. People turned to the Town Spring for water during the emergency.



The signs read:

DSC_5057-Edit.jpg

The Spring Hotel
One of the best-known early inns was the Spring Hotel, named for the clear spring at its base. The spring had a marble basin and was enclosed in brick. In 1825, Landy Lindsey constructed a log tavern with two main rooms, a narrow hall, and some clapboard rooms; this served as the first hotel. In 1834, Lindsey sold the Spring Hotel to Hugh Campbell, who remodeled the tavern into a two-story grand hotel. Located on the stagecoach route, the hotel was known as a place where weary travelers could find rest and hungry men could find plenty to eat. The importance of the spring led to the construction of several other hotels, built around the site in the 1830s. These hotels also used water from the Town Spring.


Town Spring
The abundance of fresh water made Clinton a popular resting place for travelers on the
Natchez Trace. For centuries, the spring located at this site supplied water to Native Americans and overland travelers from the North and East, as well as the flatboatmen returning from New Orleans to their frontier homes. After Clinton was surveyed in 1829, Spring Street was laid out for public access to the spring - the town's main source of water. The town built a water well near the spring and began operating a water system in 1906. Spring Street was closed, but the Town Spring remained usable as late as 1951 when an ice storm caused a power failure and Clinton's water system shut down. People turned to the Town Spring for water during the emergency.